Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Devotional

Forgiving

It is an action word
a verb.
I do it
and then I do it again
and then I do it again
and I keep on doing it
for as long as it takes.
It might take me a real long time
it usually does for that matter.
But...
for me forgiving is like traveling
the road of life
I do it one step at a time
one day at a time.
I wish...
I could say I am always patient
patient with myself
as I struggle to forgive.
As I struggle to
Practice what I preach
which is
Take All the Time You Need.
I really do believe that
even though
it doesn't seem like I believe it
sometimes.

There is a book, it is pretty much everywhere, I see people reading it wherever I go. I see it in almost every store that sells books. My therapist talked about it with me one day and I had bought it and finished it a few days later. It was hard to put down. The book is called The Shack, by: Wm. Paul Young.

I learned so much about forgiveness from this book.

Today's Sunday Devotional comes from The Shack.

Mackenzie, forgiveness does not excuse anything. Believe me, the last thing this man is, is free. And you have no duty to justice in this. I WILL HANDLE THAT. And as for Missy, she has already forgiven him."

"She has?" Mack didn't even look up. "How could she?"

"Because of my presence in her. That's the only way true forgiveness is ever possible."

Mack felt Papa sit down next to him on the ground but he still didn't look up. As Papa's arms enfolded Mack he began to cry. "Let it all out," he heard Papa's whisper, and he finally was able to do just that. He closed his eyes as the tears poured out. ...He wept until he had cried out all the darkness, all the longing and all the loss, until there was nothing left.

He pleaded, "help me Papa. Help me! What do I do? How do I forgive him?"

"TELL HIM."

"How Papa?"

"Just say it out loud. There is power in what my children declare."

Mack began to whisper in tones first half hearted and stumbling, but then with increasing conviction, "I forgive you, I forgive you, I forgive you."

Papa held him close, "Mackenzie, you are such a joy."

"So is it all right if I'm still angry?"

Papa was quick to respond. "Absolutely! What he did was terrible he caused incredible pain to many. It was wrong and anger is the right response to something that is so wrong. But, don't let the anger and loss and pain you feel prevent you from forgiving him and removing your hands from around his neck. Son, you may have to declare your forgiveness a hundred times the first day and the second day, but the third day will be less and each day after, until one day you will realize that you have forgiven completely."

I copied these words for myself and I inserted my name every where Mack's name appeared. I have them in a special place, a book I have created for healing.

Forgiveness is a process, I don't worry so much about the destination anymore.




8 comments:

  1. :) i am with you, my very special friend.

    hugs,
    ~Silver

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to hear that today! Thanks for those wonderful words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a really beautiful post Vicki. I'm very teary tonight, feeling sorry for myself and feel comforted that you are there and that you post wonderful inspiring words. And you're a really amazing poet!! I am going to post something soon about forgiveness or rather 'letting go of unforgiveness' which is a way that I can grasp the concept more easily, and it's more about myself and my healing and not about 'the crimes'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your poem on Forgiving. I feel the same way. And it pretty much describes my journey in forgiving my father. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so right on. Sometimes I think I have forgiven and then it's back and then I forgive again etc. Your poem sums it up. I have wanted to read The Shack. Didn't realize it was about forgiveness. Stay safe Vicki and thanks so much for sharing your heart. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Thank you for these words and your words.

    I find that praying for others who hurt me releases my pain. I can forgive. Yes, Agnostics pray.. I pray a lot. :) (big smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicky, thank you for these lovely words and I can relate far too much...
    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've also only heard good reviews about that book. enjoy it! the exert is quite a teaser...

    ReplyDelete