Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Where Can I Turn For Peace

Where Can I Turn for Peace



Sunday, this is the Hymn we sang in church. I thought of all of us here on our blogs supporting each other and sharing whatever it is that brings us each peace. I thought of how often we struggle to find peace. I thought about the joy we feel when we find peace even for a little while.

The woman who wrote this Hymn, Emma Lou Thayne, wrote this while her daughter was suffering with an eating disorder. I wanted to share these comforting words here.

WHERE CAN I TURN FOR PEACE?

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.

Text: Emma Lou Thayne, b. 1924. © 1973 IRI

Music: Joleen G. Meredith, b. 1935. © 1973 IRI

John 14:27; 16:33

Hebrews 4:14–16

I would express to you all the peace I find through The Savior Jesus Christ.

I would also thank you all for the support and peace I find through each one of your stories and all of your strength.

Together we are strong.

12 comments:

  1. Vicky, big hug. You are right together we are strong. And strong for all those til they find there own strength again. Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful picture and words.. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I draw myself apart." Interesting words. Vicki, thank you so much for sharing this song and thinking of us all. Soo very true.

    Blessings dear one.♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this song before. Thank you for sharing it. I also want to say thank you for being an inspiration to me. You are wonderful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. the words to this are so so very comforting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful and very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful Vicki, thanks! I love your blog, I'm so glad I found you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this. Thanks for sharing. So much of you that I need frequently to help with my sorrows and trials. Thanks for the message, noticing that I am back. My computer is on the fritz, which keeps me from checking in right now. Have to go to the Library....but wanted to thank you. ...for noticing...for caring. Doing okay, having a bit of a hard time....but okay. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Vicki -

    Thank you so much for sharing YOUR story . . . you are right . . by each of us sharing our stories, we can all find strength.

    - Marie (Coming Out of the Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki,
    You will never know how much strength I have received from the words of this Hymn over the past 10 years.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete