Saturday, January 2, 2010

Remembering What I Want


I used this illustration above to teach a group of teenage young women at church last Sunday about goals and remembering to set smaller goals to help us reach our larger long range goals. I explained to them that we spend much of our time down in the trees working hard and hopefully heading for the light as in the first photo. We rarely are able to view our lives or our progress from above, as in the second photo taken from a hot air balloon. Many will not ever in their life understand or be able to appreciate the impact they have on the world around them or the lives of those around them.

I have to believe that is where faith and trust come in to play. I spend my life down in those trees. I purposely chose a gorgeous photo of trees with light in the distance. I see myself as a seeker of light. I want to spend my days in pursuit of the dreams of my heart. Sometimes I lose my way for awhile, I forget that I have to take the short day to day steps toward what I value. Every step counts, every day counts. I have to remind myself that even though I can't see the bigger picture as from above I still have to hold on to my faith that there really is a bigger picture and that the bigger picture matters.

I am so easily overtaken by the dailiness of my life. Being the mother of a busy and and active family is most definitely a priority and also demands my energy. I adore spending my time being here in my moments being alive feeling the ups the downs the ins and the outs. I also want to remember the other path that I have chosen for myself. Writing, telling the truth, healing, listening to others tell their truth, offering my support and sincere caring. I will be sitting down to give myself some steps simple small steps which will help me remember the bigger picture of what is REALLY IMPORTANT to me.

Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. ...Touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace.
FREDERICK BUECHNER

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. It was said in such a way that I could fully comprehend. A good reminder to all of us. Great you are teaching this teenagers.. never to early to learn about Faith and the BIG PICTURE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am in search of "faith", I am constantly reminded that while I don't think I have it, I rejoice in others sharing theirs. I loved reading this, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky, great illustration. Well shared and clear. Thank you for sharing dear one! Blessins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say what a really pleasant surprise to read this very wise and beautiful post Vicki! You are such a good teacher! I make a point of looking for the light too these days and you know when you look for it you find it. It's not always visible to our eyes but it's always there. You are able to view life from many perspectives and that is a very special gift. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vickie, stopped by to wish you a very happy new year....stay strong. sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. its so easy getting caught up in ones daily life, but so much more rewarding to feel the now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pleasingly memorable... Thanks for such a beautiful post and lesson for life...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete