Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Independence

When I think about my independence from abuse, the victim child I grew up as, I have so much happiness. I grew up always on High Alert believing that everything that happened around me was about me and that somehow if I did more or did "everything" right I could make those around me happy.  

I remember the feelings, the first shock when my therapist told me "it is not about you."  Who did he think he was?  What did he think he knew about my life?

I remember when the light went on and I felt the weight of this childhood LIE lift from my life.  That was real independence.

I learned to say
It is not about me
It is not all about me
I am enough
and 
A MILLION times a day
I am enough

My independence has provided me with the freedom to trust myself.  I have over time learned the difficult lesson that Healing doesn't come overnight or even in ten years.  Healing takes patience, the patience to trust that I Am Enough.

15 comments:

  1. Sending you hugs and smiles. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this message today! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Great inspiration for all of us. I think those of us with DID are often even more than enough - but we are certainly enough.

    Thanks, Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post, Vicki! Thank you for sharing this with us. It makes me smile. You are, indeed, so much more than enough! You go, girl! :) (((((((((((((((((Vicki)))))))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Saying that you..

    You are Enough.. you are perfect just the way you are...

    hugs..

    Betty Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful post. You are enough. You always were, and always will be.

    Kerro

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, it is not about us, and there are many people who have never been abused who have not yet figured this out. Nice post.

    BTW, I want to let you and other followers know that my Blest Atheist blogspot went down. I replaced it with 100th Lamb (www.emahlou.blogspot.com). I explain why there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Vicki! This post is perfect for the Independence edition of THE BLOG CARNIVAL AGAINST CHILD ABUSE. Thanks so much for sharing it with us for the carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well spoken and so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post! Yes, You ARE enough. And so am I. I needed that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a strong awesome post from a strong awesome woman...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. This is a great post. It's really made me think about how much I sometimes make things all about me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet heart,

    You are more than enough. You are so wonderful, so special, so loved. And you are enough.

    Good and healing thoughts to you.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so special! Thank you for sharing a lesson you have learned in your journey of healing. And thank you to reaching out to me and being a completely supportive and loving friend from far away!

    ReplyDelete