Sunday, July 18, 2010

Isaac and the Couch

This week when Isaac was over for the day there was energy pulsing in the hot AZ air.

I was working on a project and Isaac was playing sweetly somewhere near.  Has it really been that long since I had a three year old "sweetly playing near"?  


I Found THIS...
 Yep, you would be right that is my leather couch and it has silver sharpie all over it, at least on that one cushion and arm.
I didn't scream, yell, or anything like it.  I remembered to breath, I remembered that I have never taught him that we don't draw on the couch.   We wiped it clean together, (as clean as you can get silver sharpie off a leather couch).  Did you know Goof-Off can get sharpie out of leather?  (mostly).  

Yes, we had a big long talk about how we don't ever color on the couch and we never ever use sharpies without permission.


Breaking the cycles of abuse feels good.

6 comments:

  1. This blog reminds me of when I taught early intervention and would hear stories from the parents just like this one. Glad you were able to erase some of the marker. Watch out for the silence when it comes to a toddler lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the old 'quiet toddler' trick. I hope it's okay that this made me laugh. I've been burned by that one a few times myself. The last 'quiet child' trick over here ended with some artwork super-glued to the kitchen counter. Poor little things. They just don't understand what they are doing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh noes, I'm glad you got most of it off. I guess a quiet tot means a busy tot. Thank you for sharing, it's always pleasant to see someone breaking the cycle of abuse. Take care! *hugs* <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'm glad you were able to handle it so well. I bet the little guy was having the time of his life, lol. Thanks for sharing :)

    -Bee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetheart,

    So sorry this happened. I have heard that there are some crayons and pens that are available that can be hand cleaned off walls and fabric. I know this came up in my family when little ones used crayons on stereo speakers, their parents found out there were ones that could be cleaned, after it happened.

    Good and healing thoughts to you.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. try using magic eraser to get the rest off...Grand babies are so much fun. Thanks for sharing, sending you a big smile!

    ReplyDelete